Thursday, April 16, 2009

Political/Personal

I know how rumors fly around New Orleans and I certainly do not want to contribute to that so I will convey something that was said to me in passing, not knowing its truth, and simply comment on the emotion it evoked. Early this past morning an icon in gay culture here in New Orleans passed away, for which I am greatly saddened in a way most can not understand. In New Orleans, our family is here, not from here. This is difficult for many to understand but so many of us have been abandoned by our blood family, that we find the comfort in those who know us best. There is a reason we call it "family" in the gay sense. Tonight I heard that Donnie's family was just going to sign his body over to the state. Again, I do not know the truth to this statement as I do not know his blood family, but the idea of this has me rather upset. I have lived in New Orleans for 10 years and Donnie, Marcy, TT, Sabrina, Will, Jeff, Aletha, Glenn, Tim, Coca, Charlette, among a multitude of others have impacted me and fallen into the ranks of family. The idea that those of blood could place me in a suite and sing some archaic dirge over my body and that is how I would be remembered makes me sick. I am not a big fan of gay marriage since I do not like the idea of marriage period. The people we love and know us will know what our wishes are, unfortunately the law does nothing to re mediate this. I am really not one for a soapbox but this just really struck me tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment